zaterdag 18 oktober 2008

"Reported Missing" - Barry Cole

Can you give me a precise description?
Said the policeman. Her lips, I told him,
Were soft. Could you give me, he said, pencil
Raised, a metaphor? Soft as an open mouth,
I said. Were there any noticeable
Peculiarities? he asked. Her hair hung
Heavily, I said. Any particular
Colour? he said. I told him I could recall
Little but its distinctive scent. What do
You mean, he asked, by distinctive? It had
The smell of woman's hair, I said. Where
Were you? he asked. Closer than I am to
Anyone at present, I said, level
With her mouth, level with her eyes. Her eyes?
He said, what about her eyes? There were two,
I said, both black. It has been established,
He said, that eyes cannot, outside common
Usage, be black; are you implying that
Violence was used? Only the gentle
Hammer blow of her kisses, the scent
Of her breath, the ... Quite, said the policeman,
Standing, but I regret that we know of
No one answering to that description.

Het gedicht hierboven stamt uit de moderne tijd. Het wordt vooral gekenmerkt door de antwoorden die de hij-persoon in dit verhaal geeft. Het zijn antwoorden die niet echt bruikbaar zijn bij een echte vermissing (zoals 'Her hair hung heavily'). De antwoorden zijn emotioneel getint. Verder is het gedicht grappig bedoeld ('What about her eyes? There were two')

(Isabel) Het gedicht kwam bij mij niet echt heel grappig over. Het was wel mooi met al die vergelijkingen enzovoort, maar verder vond ik het gedicht niet zo heel bijzonder. Het is niet echt een gedicht dat me bij zal blijven.
(Edine) Volgens mij was het gedicht grappig bedoelt, maar het kwam ook op mij niet grappig over. Ik kon er geen diepere betekenis in vinden en dat is toch meestal wel het mooie aan gedichten. Dit is geen gedicht dat ik anderen aan zou raden.

Geen opmerkingen: